Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Of fleas and floors

     Finally taking the plunge into the world of blogging so that we can share our progress with loved ones and stay motivated to keep up the good work!
     Steven, Lily, and I have been staying in the house since July 24, but our move from the apartment wasn't officially complete until this past Sunday (31st). Our first night in the house was completely horrible... Just as we were getting our bedroom somewhat set up, I discovered that there were fleas everywhere! 



     If only we had known before we moved all the furniture, we could have flea bombed the place. I would never have expected to see a flea problem in a house that has no carpet, so our only guess is that they were hiding out in the old curtains that were still hanging. Steven tossed those ASAP. Within a couple of hours, our dog Lily was completely covered with them. She's been taking a monthly Trifexis tablet, which kills fleas after they bite her, but it wasn't until the following morning that we really saw an improvement. 
     I read that the easiest way to combat fleas was to become a very dedicated vacuumer and regularly wash anything that will fit into your machine. We also immediately dusted the yard with a powder called diatomaceous earth. This substance is basically fossilized diatoms (a type of algae), and it kills fleas by causing their bodies to dehydrate. It's also great because it is safe for people, pets, and plants. After taking these steps, the number of fleas we were seeing nosedived, and we're well on our way to being flea free after just one week!

Found plenty of helpful information on getting rid of fleas here: http://www.beyondfleas.com/

Cool tip: put a flea collar or some diatomaceous earth in your vacuum bag to kill the fleas that get sucked up :)

     On to happier news, Steven and I got started on some demolition tonight. I'm very excited to share our first set of before and after pics!

Before

 After

     Why anyone would cover that up is beyond us. It might have taken us a couple hours to uncover this much, so it shouldn't be much longer before the entry is looking a whole lot better. Oh, and we think there is another layer of hardwood flooring under this one (laid in the opposite direction), so we'll see what happens with that, haha.
     As part of our 203(k) rehabilitation loan, we are having some contracted work done to get things started. This includes adding central heat and air upstairs, which is currently underway. It's taking a little longer than expected though, since the workers are only able to do their thing upstairs for a couple hours in the morning. With the ridiculous heat we've been having, it's definitely well over 100 degrees up there.